KABUL: (Middle East Press) The Turkish government said late last year that the ISIL Militants were advancing on the mausoleum, which is guarded by several dozen Turkish soldiers.
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said at a news conference in Ankara on Saturday that the operation into Syria involved 100 military vehicles including 39 tanks.
According to witnesses, the tanks and armoured vehicles, supported by drones, rolled into Syria near the border town of Kobane and left Syria through the same route early on Sunday.
According to Davutoglu, 40 soldiers stationed at the tomb returned to Turkey safely.
However, one Turkish soldier was killed in an accident during the evacuation, the military said.
Turkey regards the enclave of the tomb as sovereign territory and had repeatedly vowed to defend it from any attack by the militants.