KABUL: (Middle East Press) Saudi Defense Ministry issued a statement says, war and aggression in Yemen has completely ended and the operation was made from midnight Tuesday.
However, it left open the option of resuming strikes if the movements of the Houthi rebels warrant it, while adding that a naval blockade on the strategic country at the tip of the Arabian Peninsula would continue.
The announcement came as a US aircraft carrier was headed to the Arabian Sea, with Washington saying it was monitoring Iranian vessels suspected of carrying weapons to the rebels in violation of a UN embargo.
The coalition has “ended Operation Decisive Storm based on a request by the Yemeni government and president Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi”, its spokesman, Brigadier General Ahmed al-Assiri, told a press briefing in the Saudi capital Riyadh.
General Assiri said the alliance had achieved its military goals in Yemen through the campaign and would now begin a new operation called “Restoring Hope”.
“The coalition will continue to prevent the movement of Houthi militias from moving or undertaking any operations inside Yemen,” he said.
A coalition statement said the focus would now be security, counterterrorism, aid and a political solution.
The UN health agency said more than 1,000 people had been killed and dozens injured since the strikes were launched against rebels clashing with pro-government forces.