Afghan soldier shooting NATO troops escape from detention

Kabul: (MEP) – According to reports an Afghan soldier who arrested last week after killing a coalition soldier and wounding four others has escaped from custody on Sunday morning.

The soldier reportedly escaped from the detention center with a help of another Afghan soldier who devised an elaborate ruse to sneak him out through a military hospital.

Gen. Abdul Hameed, the commander of the Afghan 205th Army Corps quoted by New York Times said, the imprisoned soldier, identified as Lamber Khan, and his guard escaped from an Afghan Army base in the southern province of Kandahar.

Gen. Hamid further added that the guard helped the soldier to flee from custody after filling out a hospital card for Mr. Khan, allowing him to leave the detention wing of the base and visit the military hospital.

He said the guard was from around the same area as the prisoner who used to service as a supervisor and was a trustworthy person.

The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) without providing further details regarding the incident said it was aware of the soldier’s escape from an Afghan facility.

A spokeswoman for the coalition security forces Col. Jane Crishton told New York Times, “We stand ready to support the government of Afghanistan if requested.”

Also the escape will raise new questions about the capacity and professionalism of the Afghan army as the remaining 100,000 foreign troops in the country prepare to leave next year.

Taliban group claimed responsibility behind the attack which took place on 9th of July and said that r. Khan, a five-year veteran of the army, had been in touch with them before and after the shooting.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.